Saturday 8 January 2011

'Not as good as Hurley'...


After a long time I finally got the chance to visit the mighty Hurley Weir.
I have been looking forward to visiting this spot for ages due to so much hype surrounding it!
I am going to be honest here, it is over rated, but that is not to say it isn't a great spot but it just not the same as a spot such as the Dee where you have beautiful surroundings, not just some concrete and a metal weir gate.



The first time I was there it was a lovely green 3 which you could soul surf until your heart was content! Sadly it dropped down to 2 during the time I was there which wasn't great considering the long drive and sub zero temperatures!
Today I returned to find a high level 3 gates with a nice pile.
Thankfully it was a bit warmer and I managed to stick a few blunt and nearly stuck a donkey flip!
I look foward to returning and having some more fun next time it is up :)

With a long 3 month gap between year 11 and sixth form approaching, I am currently looking into a trip to Iceland or somewhere further afield which should be brilliant!
See you on the water,
Charles

3 comments:

  1. Gutted, I had high hopes for Hurley! I guess the appeal is that its the only decent white water in that area (although that will change with broxbourne).

    Great blog by the way - love the hucking video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further afield you say!. Why not come to the paddlefest in Ft Smith on the Slave River July 29 to Aug 1st. Seeing as how we have the same name I suppose we can put you up. Check out this link below on facebook. The guy in the picture in the green kayak is my son John Charles blyth http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150170418705482&id=597915481#!/event.php?eid=179665118735389

    ReplyDelete